(Points + Rebounds + Steals + ½Assists + ½Blocked Shots – Field Goal Attempts – Turnovers - ½Free Throw Attempts - ½Personal Fouls) / Minutes = Win Score per Minute

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I'm jealous of myself.....

Well, I'm heading on vacation starting tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday, so we'll see how well my automated updates work this weekend. My guess is not well, since they are depending on an outside free service. We shall see how it goes. As for me, I'll be in the Bahamas for a few days, so the jealousy can begin now. This isn't a usual thing for me, in fact I haven't been outside of Utah in 5 years except for a trip to Vegas, which is only 6 hours away. So I'm not gonna feel bad about it, I'm just going to enjoy it. If, by chance, the updates don't work right and there are missing stats, please be patient and I'll try to get to it some time on Tuesday.

Couple more things...now might be a good time to mention my idea for a Fantasy Win Score game. My first thought was to let people create a team by picking 15-20 players. The winner would be the one who's team amassed the highest total win score throughout the playoffs. So you'd have to choose between good performers for average teams and average performers for good teams, you'd have to try to figure out which players will play consistently well in the playoffs, and which players will get sufficient minutes to rack up Win Score. Anyway, any thoughts on this idea would be greatly appreciated. If you have ideas of how to set it up better, let me know. Try to keep it simple however, the playoffs are only a few weeks away.

Also, David Berri and I are trying to work together to get a better way of deciding what position a player is. I know a few of you have noticed the disparities between the WP48 on my site and the one calculated by Mr. Berri and company. One of the issues is that I am using the shortcut calculation from Win Score and not adding in any team adjustment. This should have very little effect on the final number, the bigger issue is that we have been calculating the position adjustment differently. Hopefully we can come upon a good solution and you should see the WP48 numbers here coming closer and closer to the official numbers from the Wages of Wins team.

Again, thanks for all the support. Have a good weekend....I know I will.

1 comment:

Will said...

Suggestion (when you get back from your trip, of course!) -

Add a Search feature for "Win Score Stats by Player." It is a little frustrating trying to locate a player using page numbers. I realize that there is an easy workaround (go to Search by Team, then select the player), but the Search feature would be slightly more direct.

Thanks again for all your work.